Brent Kaplan, Ph.D.
Dr. Brent Kaplan is a postdoctoral associate in the Addiction Recovery Research Center training under Dr. Mikhail Koffarnus. Dr. Kaplan's research interests focus on applying behavioral economic concepts to understand drug abuse and drug valuation. His other research interests include novel applications of behavioral economics and integrating contemporary technology into the data analysis and dissemination phases to broaden the reach of behavioral economic efforts.
Education and Training
- University of Kansas: Ph.D., Behavioral Psychology
- University of Kansas: M.A., Applied Behavioral Science
- University of Kansas: B.G.S., Applied Behavioral Science & Psychology
- Kaplan BA, Reed DD, Murphy JG, Henley AJ, DiGennaro Reed FD, Roma PG, Hursh SR. (2017). Time constraints in the alcohol purchase task. Experimental and Clinical Psychopharmacology 25: 186-197. doi: 10.1037/pha0000110.
- Kaplan BA, Amlung M, Reed DD, Jarmolowicz DP, MeKerchar TK, Lemley SM. (2016). Automating scoring of delay discounting for the 21- and 27-item Monetary Choice Questionnaires. The Behavior Analyst 39: 293-304. doi: 10.1007/s40614-016-0070-9.
- Henley AJ, DiGennaro Reed FD, Reed DD, Kaplan BA. (2016). A crowdsourced nickel-and-dime approach to analog OBM research: A behavioral economic framework for understanding workforce attrition. Journal of Experimental Analysis Behavior 106: 134-144. doi: 10.1002/jeab.220.
- Kaplan BA, Reed DD, Jarmolowicz DP. (2016). Effects of episodic future thinking on discounting: Personalized age-progressed pictures improve risky long-term health decisions. Journal of Applied Behavior Analysis 49: 148-169. doi: 10.1002/jaba.277.
- Lemley SM, Kaplan BA, Reed DD, Darden AC, Jarmolowicz DP. (2016). Reinforcer pathologies: Predicting alcohol related problems in college drinking men and women. Drug and Alcohol Dependence 167: 57-66. doi: 10.1016/j.drugalcdep.2016.07.025.
- Reed DD, Kaplan BA, Becirevic A, Roma PG, Hursh SR. (2016). Toward quantifying the abuse liability of ultraviolet tanning: A behavioral economic approach to tanning addiction. Journal of the Experimental Analysis of Behavior 106: 93-106. doi: 10.1002/jeab.216.
- Kaplan BA, Reed DD, McKerchar TL. (2014). Using a Visual Analogue Scale to Assess Delay, Social, and Probability Discounting of an Environmental Loss. The Psychological Record 64: 261-269. doi: 10.1007/s40732-014-0041-z.