Terry Lohrenz, Ph.D.
Research Assistant Professor, Virginia Tech Carilion Research Institute
Terry Lohrenz is a member of the Human Neuroimaging Laboratory and Computational Psychiatry Unit. He was trained as a mathematician and spent time in the energy industry before migrating to neuroscience. His interests lie in mathematical descriptions of decision-making and social interaction, their instantiation in the human brain, and applications to mental disorders.
Education and Training
- Harvard University: A.B., Physics
- Rutgers: Ph.D., Mathematics
- Baylor College of Medicine
Research Assistant Professor, Neuroscience
- Vilares I, Wesley MJ, Ahn WJ, Bonnie RJ, Hoffman M, Jones OD, Morse SJ, Yaffe G, Lohrenz T, Montague PR. (2017). Predicting the knowledge–recklessness distinction in the human brain. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (USA): doi: 10.1073/pnas.1619385114. Epub 2017 Mar 13.
- Solway A, Lohrenz T, Montague PR. (2017). Simulating future value in intertemporal choice. Scientific Reports 7: 43119 (2017). doi: 10.1038/srep43119.
- Montague PR, Kishida KT, Moran RJ, Lohrenz TM. (2016). An efficiency framework for valence processing systems inspired by soft cross-wiring. Current Opinion in Behavioral Sciences 11: 121-129.
- Lohrenz T, Kishida KT, Montague PR. (2016). BOLD and its connection to dopamine release in human striatum: a cross-cohort comparison. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society Biological Sciences 371(1705): 20150352. doi: 10.1098/rstb.2015.0352.
- Koffarnus MK, Johnson MW, Thompson-Lake DGY, Wesley MJ, Lohrenz T, Montague PR, Bickel WK. (2016). Cocaine-Dependent Adults and Recreational Cocaine Users Are More Likely Than Controls to Choose Immediate Unsafe Sex Over Delayed Safer Sex. Experimental and Clinical Psychopharmacology 24(4): 297-304. doi: 10.1037/pha0000080.
- Hétu S, Luo Y, Saez I, D'Ardenne K, Lohrenz T, Montague PR. (2016). Asymmetry in Functional Connectivity of the Human Habenula Revealed by High-Resolution Cardiac-Gated Resting State Imaging. Human Brain Mapping 37(7): 2602-2615. doi: 10.1002/hbm.23194.
- Gu X, Lohrenz T, Salas R, Baldwin PR, Soltani A, Kirk U, Cinciripini P, Montague PR. (2016). Belief about Nicotine Modulates Subjective Craving and Insula Activity in Deprived Smokers. Frontiers in Psychiatry 7: 126. doi: 10.3389/fpsyt.2016.00126. eCollection 2016.
- McAdams CJ, Jeon-Slaughter H, Evans S, Lohrenz T, Montague PR, Krawczyk DC. (2016). Neural differences in self-perception during illness and after weight-recovery in anorexia nervosa. Social Cognitive and Affective Neuroscience 11(11): 1823-1831.
- Kishida KT, Saez I, Lohrenz TM, Witcher MR, Laxton AW, Tatter SB, White JP, Ellis TL, Phillips PEM, Montague PR. (2016). Subsecond dopamine fluctuations in human striatum encode superposed error signals about actual and counterfactual reward. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (USA) 113(1): 200-205. doi: 10.1073/pnas.1513619112.
[PDF] [COMMENTARY: Dopamine: Context and counterfactuals]
- Wesley MJ, Lohrenz T, Koffarnus MN, McClure SM, De La Garza R 2nd, Salas R, Thompson-Lake DG, Newton TF, Bickel WK, Montague PR. (2014). Choosing Money over Drugs: The Neural Underpinnings of Difficult Choice in Chronic Cocaine Users. Journal of Addiction 2014: 189853. doi: 10.1155/2014/189853.