Terry Lohrenz, Ph.D.
Research Assistant Professor, Virginia Tech Carilion Research Institute
Terry Lohrenz is a member of the Human Neuroimaging Laboratory and Computational Psychiatry Unit. He was trained as a mathematician and spent time in the energy industry before migrating to neuroscience. His interests lie in mathematical descriptions of decision-making and social interaction, their instantiation in the human brain, and applications to mental disorders.
Education and Training
- Harvard University: A.B., Physics
- Rutgers: Ph.D., Mathematics
- Baylor College of Medicine
Research Assistant Professor, Neuroscience
- Moran RJ, Kishida KT, Lohrenz T, Saez I, Laxton AW, Witcher MR, Tatter SB, Ellis TL, Phillips PE, Dayan P, Montague PR. (2018). The Protective Action Encoding of Serotonin Transients in the Human Brain. Neuropsychopharmacology: doi: 10.1038/npp.2017.304. [Epub ahead of print].
- Hétu S, Luo Y, D'Ardenne K, Lohrenz T, Montague PR. (2017). Human substantia nigra and ventral tegmental area involvement in computing social error signals during the ultimatum game. Social Cognitive and Affective Neuroscience 12(12): 1972-1982. doi.org/10.1093/scan/nsx097.
- Vilares I, Wesley MJ, Ahn WJ, Bonnie RJ, Hoffman M, Jones OD, Morse SJ, Yaffe G, Lohrenz T, Montague PR. (2017). Predicting the knowledge–recklessness distinction in the human brain. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (USA) 114(12): 3222-3227. doi:10.1073/pnas.1619385114.
- Solway A, Lohrenz T, Montague PR. (2017). Simulating future value in intertemporal choice. Scientific Reports 7: 43119 (2017). doi: 10.1038/srep43119.
- Montague PR, Kishida KT, Moran RJ, Lohrenz TM. (2016). An efficiency framework for valence processing systems inspired by soft cross-wiring. Current Opinion in Behavioral Sciences 11: 121-129.
- Lohrenz T, Kishida KT, Montague PR. (2016). BOLD and its connection to dopamine release in human striatum: a cross-cohort comparison. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society Biological Sciences 371(1705): 20150352. doi: 10.1098/rstb.2015.0352.
- Koffarnus MK, Johnson MW, Thompson-Lake DGY, Wesley MJ, Lohrenz T, Montague PR, Bickel WK. (2016). Cocaine-Dependent Adults and Recreational Cocaine Users Are More Likely Than Controls to Choose Immediate Unsafe Sex Over Delayed Safer Sex. Experimental and Clinical Psychopharmacology 24(4): 297-304. doi: 10.1037/pha0000080.
- Hétu S, Luo Y, Saez I, D'Ardenne K, Lohrenz T, Montague PR. (2016). Asymmetry in Functional Connectivity of the Human Habenula Revealed by High-Resolution Cardiac-Gated Resting State Imaging. Human Brain Mapping 37(7): 2602-2615. doi: 10.1002/hbm.23194.
- Gu X, Lohrenz T, Salas R, Baldwin PR, Soltani A, Kirk U, Cinciripini P, Montague PR. (2016). Belief about Nicotine Modulates Subjective Craving and Insula Activity in Deprived Smokers. Frontiers in Psychiatry 7: 126. doi: 10.3389/fpsyt.2016.00126. eCollection 2016.
- McAdams CJ, Jeon-Slaughter H, Evans S, Lohrenz T, Montague PR, Krawczyk DC. (2016). Neural differences in self-perception during illness and after weight-recovery in anorexia nervosa. Social Cognitive and Affective Neuroscience 11(11): 1823-1831.