This employee is no longer with the VTC Research Institute.
Ulrich Kirk, PhD
Research Assistant Professor, Virginia Tech Carilion Research Institute
My area of research investigates the neurobiology of self-regulation in valuation and decision-making, and more recently the interaction of emotional processes on choice and motivation. Ongoing research projects use mindfulness meditation to probe its impact on brain and behavior.
Education and Training
- University of Toronto: Postdoctoral fellowship
- Baylor College of Medicine: Postdoctoral fellowship
- University College London: Ph.D., Neuroscience
- Kirk U, Downar J, Montague PR. (2011). Interoception drives increased rational decision-making in meditators playing the ultimatum game. Frontiers in Neuroscience 5(49).
- Harvey, AH, Kirk, U, Denfield, GH, Montague, PR. (2010). Monetary favors and their influence on neural responses and revealed preference. J. Neurosci 30, 9597-602.
- Kirk, U., Skov, M., Nygaard, N., Christensen, MS. (2009). Brain correlates of aesthetic expertise: a parametric fMRI study. Brain & Cognition 69(2), 306-15.
- Kirk, U., Skov, M., Hulme, O., Christensen, MS., Zeki, S. (2009). Modulation of aesthetic value by semantic context: an fMRI study. Neuroimage 44(3), 1125-32.