Warren Bickel, PhD
Professor, Virginia Tech Carilion Research Institute
Director, Addiction Recovery Research Center
Professor of Psychology, College of Science, Virginia Tech
Professor of Psychiatry and Behavioral Medicine, Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine
Research Program Summary
Fundamental to solving the problem of addiction and other dysfunctional health behaviors is to understand how an individual continues to engage in a behavior despite recognizing that this behavior is both problematic and self-handicapping. The Addiction Recovery Research Center seeks to answer this and related questions by examining decision-making processes that support dysfunctional behaviors and seeks novel therapeutic means to repair those dysfunctional processes. Projects include the translational assessment of dysfunctional decision-making among the addicted and using that knowledge to explore of diverse interventions to treatment and improve the decision-making dysfunction. A central tenet of this research is that trans-disease processes undergird the expression of a variety of self-handicapping decisions and that successful treatments will be applicable across those diseases.
For a full listing of Dr. Bickel's publications, visit PubMed.
Education and Training
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine: Postdoctoral fellowship
- University of North Carolina Chapel Hill: Postdoctoral fellowship
- University of Kansas: Ph.D., Developmental and Child Psychology
- University of Kansas: M.A., Developmental and Child Psychology
- University of New York New Paltz: B.A., Psychology
- University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences
Wilbur D. Mills Professor of Alcoholism and Drug Abuse Prevention, Department of Psychiatry
Professor, Department of Health Behavior
Director, Center for Addiction Research
Director, Interdisciplinary Tobacco Program
Awards and Honors
- Fellow, Academy of Behavioral Medicine Research, 2014
- Distinguished Alumni Award, University of Kansas, 2014
- Service as Past President Recognition, Division 50, Society of Addiction Psychology, American Psychological Association, 2013
- Scholar of the Week, Virginia Tech, 2012
- Recipient, Brady-Schuster Award for outstanding behavioral science research in psychopharmacology and substance abuse, Division 28 of the American Psychological Association, 2012
- Selected as a Distinguished Scientist Lecturer by the American Psychological Association's Science Directorate and Board of Scientific Affairs, 2012
- APA International Don Hake Translational Research Distinguished Contributions to Basic Research Award, 2011
- Researcher of the Year, Arkansas Psychological Association Honors for Outstanding Contribution, 2006
- MERIT (Method to Extend Research in Time) Award Recipient, National Institute on Drug Abuse, 1997–2007
- Opitz A, Legon W, Rowlands A, Bickel WK, Paulus W, Tyler WJ. (2013). Physiological observations validate finite element models for estimating subject-specific electric field distributions induced by transcranial magnetic stimulation of the human motor cortex. Neuroimage 81, 253-64.
- Oliveto A, Mancino M, Sanders N, Cargile C, Guise JB, Bickel W, Gentry WB. (2013). Effects of prototypic calcium channel blockers in methadone-maintained humans responding under a naloxone discrimination procedure. Eur J Pharmacol 715(1), 424-35.
- Sheffer CE, Mennemeier MS, Landes RD, Dornhoffer J, Kimbrell T, Bickel WK, Brackman S, Chelette KC, Brown G, Vuong M. (2013). Focal electrical stimulation as an effective sham control for active rTMS and biofeedback treatments. Appl Psychophysiol Biofeedback 38(3), 171-6.
- Sheffer CE, Mennemeier M, Landes RD, Bickel WK, Brackman S, Dornhoffer J, Kimbrell T, Brown G. (2013). Neuromodulation of delay discounting, the reflection effect, and cigarette consumption. J Subst Abuse Treat 45(2), 206-14.
- Jarmolowicz DP, Bickel WK, Gatchalian KM. (2013). Alcohol-dependent individuals discount sex at higher rates than controls. Drug Alcohol Depend 131(3), 320-3.
- Sanders NC, Mancino MJ, Gentry WB, Guise JB, Bickel WK, Thostenson J, Oliveto AH. (2013). Randomized, placebo-controlled pilot trial of gabapentin during an outpatient, buprenorphine-assisted detoxification procedure. Exp Clin Psychopharmacol 21(4), 294-302.
- Bickel WK, Koffarnus MN, Moody L, Wilson AG. (2013). The behavioral- and neuro-economic process of temporal discounting: A candidate behavioral marker of addiction. Neuropharmacology.
- Stanger C, Budney AJ, Bickel WK. (2013). A developmental perspective on neuroeconomic mechanisms of contingency management. Psychol Addict Behav 27(2), 403-15.
- Somoza EC, Winship D, Gorodetzky CW, Lewis D, Ciraulo DA, Galloway GP, Segal SD, Sheehan M, Roache JD, Bickel WK, Jasinski D, Watson DW, Miller SR, Somoza P, Winhusen T. (2013). A multisite, double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical trial to evaluate the safety and efficacy of vigabatrin for treating cocaine dependence. JAMA Psychiatry 70(6), 630-7.
- Upadhyaya HP, Desaiah D, Schuh KJ, Bymaster FP, Kallman MJ, Clarke DO, Durell TM, Trzepacz PT, Calligaro DO, Nisenbaum ES, Emmerson PJ, Schuh LM, Bickel WK, Allen AJ. (2013). A review of the abuse potential assessment of atomoxetine: A nonstimulant medication for attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder. Psychopharmacology (Berl) 226(2), 189-200.