Sarah Henrickson Parker, Ph.D.
Research Assistant Professor, Fralin Biomedical Research Institute at VTC
Research Assistant Professor of Psychology, College of Science, Virginia Tech
Assistant Professor, Basic Science Education, Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine
Director of Human Factors Research, Carilion Clinic
The Parker Laboratory conducts basic and translational research into the performance of teams in a crucial high-risk setting: health care. The laboratory is interdisciplinary and collaborative, with projects spanning numerous clinical domains – from the ICU to the operating room to the outpatient clinical practice – and disciplines – medical, surgical, nursing. Using a range of methods from human factors, systems engineering, bioinformatics, computational modeling, industrial/organizational psychology, and implementation science, the Parker Laboratory studies clinical team performance during direct patient care and simulations to better understand complex work and patterns of performance that are indicative of excellent patient care. The goal is to integrate education, research, and front line staff to improve care for patients.
Parker Laboratory researchers aim to answer several questions, including:
- What makes a good team good?
- What does it take to make you change your behavior? Your friends or hearing data on the news?
- Is giving people immediate feedback on their performance good or does it push them off a cliff?
- Can we conduct individualized, real-time risk assessment for patients entering the hospital?
The Parker Laboratory strives to identify, evaluate, and disseminate evidence-based interventions to improve team performance at the front lines of patient care. To achieve this goal, the Parker Laboratory has three areas of focus: research, education, and front line staff integration.
The Parker Laboratory is led by Sarah Henrickson Parker, and is a partnership between Virginia Tech, Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine and Research Institute, and Carilion Clinic.
For a more complete listing of Sarah Henrickson Parker's publications, visit PubMed.
Education and Training
- University of Aberdeen, Scotland : PhD , Psychology
- George Mason University: MA , Psychology, Human Factors and Applied Cognition
- Wittenberg University: BA , Psychology
- National Center for Human Factors Engineering in Healthcare
Director of Education and Academic Affairs
- Georgetown University School of Medicine
Assistant Professor, Emergency Medicine
- World Health Organization
- Mayo Clinic
Human Factors Analyst
- Wright-Patterson Air Force Base
Research Assistant, Human Performance Lab
- Wittenberg University
Research Assistant, Learning Memory and Cognition Lab
Awards and Honors
- Visiting Professor in Simulation Education, Mayo Clinic, 2014
- Postdoctoral Overseas Scholarship Award, University of Fribourg, 2014
- Best Poster Award, MedStar Health Research Institute, 2014
- Pitch Day Finalist, Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, 2013
- Selected Capstone Presenter, Teaching Scholars - MedStar Health Research Institute, 2012